Since its launch in summer of 2020, more than 800 students have served the local community through We CU. These students completed 15,171 hours of service and training, including 163 service projects with community partners.
A service-centered public engagement program, We CU matches undergraduate and graduate students with local community-based organizations and projects. The program is designed to support transformative learning experiences for Illinois students by empowering them to meet the needs of the local community.
We CU empowers students to build their resume while making a positive impact in the Champaign-Urbana community through a variety of projects. Students gain training, connection to like-minded peers, access to service opportunities with partner organizations, and support from We CU program leaders.
Projects are matched through service learning classes, student groups, and individual students. Examples of projects completed include:
- Managing social media with The Reading Group
- Running a needs assessment by phone with local artists with Urbana Arts and Culture
- Sewing cloth masks for community groups in need with Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
- Coordinating and marketing a campus-wide virtual food drive with Eastern Illinois Foodbank
- Helping elderly residents use virtual avenues for social interaction with Hope Meadows
- Conducting research with Habitat for Humanity of Champaign County